WHAT IS A COOKIE?
A cookie is a small fragment of text that websites send to the browser and that are stored on the user’s device, which could be a personal computer, a mobile phone, tablet, etc. These files allow the website to remember information about your visit, such as the language and preferred options, which may facilitate your next visit and make the website more useful by personalising its content. Cookies play a very important role in improving the experience of using the Website.
TYPES OF COOKIES
According to the entity managing the cookies, they can be:
- First-party cookies: those sent to the user’s device from a computer or domain managed by the publisher itself and from which the service requested by the user is provided.
- Third-party cookies: those sent to the user’s device from a computer or domain not managed by the publisher, but rather by another entity that processes the data obtained through the cookies.
Depending on the time they remain activated:
- Session cookies: these are a type of cookie designed to collect and store data while the user browses through a website. They are normally used to store information that is only interesting to keep for the provision of the service requested by the user on a single occasion.
- Persistent cookies: these are a type of cookie where information continues to be stored in the device and can be accessed and processed for a time period defined by the cookie owner, which may last from a few minutes to several years.
Depending on the purpose for which the data obtained through the cookies will be processed, the website may use:
Technical cookies: those that allow the user to browse the website or application and to use the different options or services offered there. For example, monitoring traffic and data communications, identifying the session, accessing restricted areas of the website, remembering the elements making up an order, requesting registration or participation in an event, using security elements during browsing and storing content for sound or video broadcasting.
Personalisation cookies: those that enable the user to access the service with some general characteristics predefined on their device or defined by the user. For example, the language, the type of browser used to access the service, the selected content design, geolocalisation of the device and the configuration of the region from which the service is accessed.
Advertising cookies: those that enable the efficient management of the advertising spaces appearing on the website or application from which the service is provided. They allow the advertising content to be adjusted so that it is relevant for the user and prevent the running of advertisements that the user has already seen.
Analytics cookies: those that enable the monitoring and analysis of the behaviour of users on the website. The information collected through this type of cookie is used to measure the activity on websites, applications or platforms and to create browsing profiles of the users of such sites, for the purpose of making improvements based on the analysis of the usage data of the users.
The cookies used on this website can be consulted in the cookies settings panel and these settings can be adjusted at any moment.
HOW TO MANAGE COOKIES IN THE BROWSER?
The user has the option of allowing, blocking or eliminating the cookies installed on their device by configuring the options of the browser installed on their terminal:
- Internet Explorer: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/topic/how-to-delete-cookie-files-in-internet-explorer-bca9446f-d873-78de-77ba-d42645fa52fc
- Microsoft Edge: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/microsoft-edge-browsing-data-and-privacy-bb8174ba-9d73-dcf2-9b4a-c582b4e640dd
Specific rules can be set up in some browsers to manage cookies website by website, which offers more targeted privacy control. This means that cookies can be disabled for all sites apart from those you trust.